Luke, Patty, Anna Kate, Caroline, and Eleanor

Luke, Patty, Anna Kate, Caroline, and Eleanor

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Projects, projects, projects

With all this winter weather we've been having, we've been pretty housebound over the past few days. Well, we've also done some playing in the snow (that will be my next blog post - Luke has all the pictures on the memory card at work), but other than that, we've been keeping busy inside reading stories, having tea parties, playing in the last few boxes that I just unpacked, etc. But while Anna Kate naps, I have been busy with some fun new projects!

First, I've been working on making Anna Kate an outfit for her first birthday. I'm not going to post any pictures yet of my finished product (because you'll see it on her in a few weeks), but let's just say it involves some elastic and lots of pink tulle...get excited!

Another project I'm working on is learning how to use my new sewing machine that I got for Christmas. So far I've made Anna Kate two bean bag toys! Don't laugh, everyone has to start somewhere. And she loves them, by the way!

I've also been busy in the kitchen with a few projects. I have done a lot of research over the past couple years on how to feed my family nourishing whole foods, and I think I do pretty well, but I definitely have room for improvement. So, a couple new things that I am trying this week are making my own yogurt and making my own tortillas. Some of you might wonder why I am doing these things, so here is some of my reasoning:

Yogurt - I have found it really difficult to find plain whole milk yogurt lately (it's all fat-free which is not what Anna Kate needs), and even when I do find it, it's really expensive ($4-5 for a quart) and it's full of all kinds of additives and preservatives. So, I found this great tutorial online for how you can make yogurt in a crockpot. So for the cost of a gallon of whole milk ($3), I can make a gallon of yogurt which would be nearly $20! So cool!

Tortillas - We try to eat as much whole grain food as we can because it's so much healthier than refined white flour. Whole wheat tortillas are hard to find and expensive, so here's how I am going to make my own: Whole Grain Homemade Tortillas

Well, I need to get back to work! Sorry for the picture-less post, but like I said, I'll post more pictures when I get my memory card back!

No comments:

Post a Comment