Well, tomorrow is the big day. I will no longer have two children under the age of two. So, in honor of this occasion, I thought I would share a little about what life has been like these past 4 months of having two under two (not that anything is going to magically change tomorrow, haha!). While in some ways it has been very difficult to have two very young babies, it has also brought more joy than I ever thought possible! So...I'll start with the hard parts =)
1. Sleeping. Should I even go here? Now ideally our almost two-year-old would sleep through the night every night. Unfortunately she does not. Whether it's a bad dream, or some noise she hears, she does wake up on average once a night. And never does this coincide with the two or more times that Caroline wakes up to eat! if they could at least coordinate these, it would make our lives a lot easier!
2. Diapers. Lots and lots of diaper changing. Until the past two weeks in which AK has been nearly potty-trained, she went through 4-5 diapers a day and Caroline still uses 8-10. That's a LOT of diaper changing! At least they are cute little cloth-covered bottoms =)
3. Leaving the house. It takes FOREVER to get both of these children ready to go anywhere. There's just so much that you have to pack along for two babies. And once you finally get it all ready to go and both kids dressed, one spits up. And by the time you get that cleaned up, the other one needs a diaper change. And once you change that, by that time the other one needs to nurse again. And once you finish that, the other one needs a snack. I could go on, but you get the point. I am finally starting to figure out what time we need to get up and moving in order to be where we need to be on time (which thankfully for us is only a couple days a week)!
Ok, now the wonderful parts!
1. Sisterly love. I love seeing my first baby love on my second baby. There is nothing sweeter than hearing her say, "I love you, baby Tarry-yine," or listening to her sing "Rockabye Baby" or "You are My Sunshine" to her baby sister. I love that Anna Kate is so little that she won't really remember being an only child and therefore I never really felt like she had any jealousy issues.
2. Matching outfits. I absolutely LOVE dressing these two baby girls alike. And I love that right now one of them absolutely loves it too and the other one is too little to notice!
3. Naptime. They are both so little that a couple hour naptime in the middle of the day happens at the same time. And hopefully we won't have to get rid of that for quite some time!
4. Snuggles. I think I get more snuggles in a day than I ever thought possible. I love rocking and loving on these two sweet little babies.
I'm sure there is a lot more that I can say, but I'll just finish by saying that even though it's a lot of work to have two baby girls under the age of two, the joys that they bring make it all worth it!