Luke, Patty, Anna Kate, Caroline, and Eleanor

Luke, Patty, Anna Kate, Caroline, and Eleanor

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Baking with my girls!

We had a staff Christmas party last week at our pastor's house and I offered to bring the dessert.  Our friends are all so wonderful cooking food that Caroline and I can eat, or adapting it for us, but making desserts without milk or eggs is pretty mind-boggling if you're not used to it.  So if I bring the dessert, then Caroline and I can eat it too, so everyone wins!  And with this chocolate cake recipe, you'd never know that it didn't have any milk or eggs.  Actually, I've found a number of recipes for cakes that we can eat, all from the WWII era...why?  Because milk and butter were in short supply during the war.  So people had to adapt!  Anyway, that was a long story...but Anna Kate and Caroline were very excited about helping me make a cake.  Actually, if we are honest, Caroline just made messes in the kitchen, and Anna Kate alternated between helping and digging her hands in the batter.

But here is the finished product!  Thank you, pinterest for the chocolate Christmas tree idea.  We just melted down our dairy-free chocolate chips, put it into a baggie and piped it out in tree shapes onto waxed paper and then stuck them to the cake when they hardened.

 


And a close-up of the cake without the cover (taken once I put the girls down so they couldn't poke at it!)


So fun baking with my sweet little girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment