Luke, Patty, Anna Kate, Caroline, and Eleanor

Luke, Patty, Anna Kate, Caroline, and Eleanor

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Baby want a cracker?

Since Anna Kate's gums have been bothering her so much over the past couple of days, she has really wanted something to chew on. I was thinking that some crackers might be good, but we didn't have any and I didn't want to go to the store. I've been making a lot of my own bread recently and I just figured it couldn't be too hard to make crackers, so I tried it! I found a great recipe online from a blog I like to read called The Nourishing Gourmet. She specifically made these crackers for her toddler, so I thought I would try it out.

First you combine 3 1/2 cups of whole grain flour, 1/4 cup of melted butter, and 1 cup of water with 2 Tablespoons of vinegar into a ball. Cover it and leave it on the counter overnight.

In the morning, flatten out your ball of dough into a circle and sprinkle 1 tsp of salt and 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder on it.


Fold your dough in half and knead it until the salt and baking powder are worked in. Then roll it out flat. For crispier crackers, roll it out really thin (1/8 inch). I made mine a little thicker so the crackers would be a little softer for Anna Kate.


Then cut it into squares/rectangles however big you want. I used a pizza cutter which worked really well.

Lay them on a greased cookie sheet and poke them with a fork.


Bake them at 425 degrees for approx. 10-12 min. Take them out when they are just starting to brown around the edges and on the bottom.


It made about 100 1 inch square crackers. Way cheaper than buying a box of crackers, and no processed ingredients! Perfect for a little baby tummy! But the real test came when Anna Kate woke up from her nap...

Is this a new toy?


Do you think I can eat it?


Hmm, this is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment