Luke, Patty, Anna Kate, Caroline, and Eleanor

Luke, Patty, Anna Kate, Caroline, and Eleanor

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Anna Kate's first violin recital!

Friday night was a very special night, as we had our end-of-the-year violin recital for all my students. This recital was especially exciting for me for two reasons. First, these are the most advanced students I have ever taught. I have never lived in one place quite this long, so this is the first time that I have students that I have taught from beginners who are now in Suzuki Book 4 and 5 (quite advanced music!). Secondly, it was very special because this was Anna Kate's first recital! We gave her a violin for her third birthday, and she spent a lot of that year just exploring the instrument, learning posture and position, and bowing open string rhythms. After she turned four, we started to become a little more disciplined with our violin lessons. A few months ago she put "fingers down" for the first time, and was ready to play "I'm a Little Monkey" on the E string for our recital.

Here are a couple of pictures of the evening.



And, of course, a video of Anna Kate, accompanied by yours truly. I was so proud of her, not just for playing well, but for being so professional as she walked on and off stage, got into position, and performed for well over 50 people.



Way to go, Anna Kate! Caroline...you're next =)

1 comment: